…if I only just put it into my stash?
On the bright side, my newly acquired fabric was all half price, as was this toddler’s dress pattern (McCall’s 5304) that I completely failed to resist.
Granted, Hannah probably has a year or so before it’ll come anywhere near fitting her, but I swear it looked small when I was cutting it out. Perhaps it’ll be a Christmas present… which also gives me time to find the perfect button for it, because even I know you can’t give a kid clothes held together by pins.
The pattern calls for miles of bias binding on all the seams, but I figured I’d fully line the dress instead. It does away with the need for facings on the front edges, but I still had to bind the armholes (and even cut my own bias binding to do it. I didn’t think that would ever happen).
Initially I tried to sew the outer fabric and lining together at the armholes to eliminate the binding altogether, but empirical evidence showed it would no longer be possible to turn the dress right side out. To those with a modicum of spatial awareness this is apparently self-evident, but James wasn’t around to ask. (I say that as if I would’ve asked if he’d been home, but I think it’s safe to assume I really wouldn’t have.)
Hit the jump for full front and back views, if you’re interested.